Many of the papers received or created in offices across campus are classified as non-records for various reasons. These materials should be disposed of as soon as they are no longer needed.
A “non-record” can be defined as any document, device, or item, regardless of physical form or characteristic, created or received that DOES NOT serve to document the university, functions, policies, decisions, procedures, operations, or other activities of the office.
Non-records may include, but are not limited to:
- Reference copies of official EKU records
- Drafts of reports or other documents
- Personal correspondence, emails or other materials
- Catalogs, phone books or other publications that are not created at EKU
- Extra copies of publications or flyers that are created at EKU (the producing office should submit a copy to archives)
- Informational email and correspondence unless you are the creating office
Published on September 17, 2013