Instructions for the Destruction of Non-Permanent University Records

The Records Retention Schedule tells you if a record is permanent (and should be sent to EKU’s Special Collections and Archives) or if it is not permanent.

If the records are non-permanent, then you will need to prepare a Certificate of Disposal.  Upon completion of the Certificate you can then dispose of the records.

To locate the Certificate of Disposal, please click on the Certificate of Disposal link under See Also on this website (look to your left).

Next, complete the Certificate:

1.  Fill in the blanks for your office or department, the building and room, and your campus telephone number.

2.  Record the date of disposal of the records.

3.  State the method of disposal used in destruction (burned, recycled, shredded, landfill) of the records.

Important! Records of a sensitive or confidential nature should be burned or shredded, never simply placed in the office recycle bin.  If you select shredding for the destruction of confidential records, then the shredding should be ¼ inch or less.  This size prevents the reconstruction of the information presumed destroyed.

Records that are not of a sensitive or confidential nature may be recycled, placed in a dumpster, or destroyed by other means.

4.  Record the Item number as on the schedule.  The item number comes from the Records Retention Schedule.  You will find this information under Univ Model.  The number starts with a U and is followed by 4 digits.  (U0239; U2400).  Please consult Special Collections and Archives (2-1792 or 2-1782) if you need assistance on the number.

5.  Fill in Title (or type) of Records, exactly as listed on the Retention and Disposal Schedule. Again, you will find this information in the Records Retention Schedule, next to the item number.  An example is for U0239:  Financial Records Subject to Audit.  The title will correspond with the item record.

6.  Next, list the Inclusive Dates of the records that were destroyed, chronologically if possible.  An example is 1990-1995.  If you are not certain of the dates, an estimate of the dates is acceptable.

7.  Next, report the volume of records destroyed.  The volume is measured in cubit feet.  Do not panic.  The certificate of disposal states that 1 cubic foot = ½ of 1 file cabinet drawer.  If less than a cubic foot of records is destroyed, then go with the nearest half cubic foot. 

8.  The Budget, Office, or Department Head should sign and date the certificate.  This form is then sent to Special Collections and Archives.  A copy of the form must also be sent with the items to be destroyed.

Destroying the Records

Remember, if there is any sensitive or confidential information in the records the method of destruction must be to shred or burn the records.

If you have a substantial amount of records to be destroyed, you should call the Division of Facilities Services and let them pick up the records.  Their number is 2-2966.

If you have a small amount of records and those records contain no sensitive or confidential information, then you can dispose of the records in your recycling bin.