Inside Look

New Shredding Options

The Department of Purchasing would like to announce to the campus community that we have contracted with a new vendor for Shredding Services – DocutBit, LLC .

Retention Schedule Update

The following additions and revisions to the State University Model Records Retention Schedule were approved at the September 2015 meeting of the State Archives and Records Commission:

·         Under Section M. Campus Police Records:


Because publications document the activities of the university they are permanent records. If your office produces a newsletter, report or other publication, a copy should be forwarded to Special Collections and Archives for permanent preservation.

Shredding vs. Recycling

Once records have passed their retention period and are ready to be destroyed there are two options for their destruction--shredding or recycling. How do you decide which one to choose?


Many of the papers received or created in offices across campus are classified as non-records for various reasons. These materials should be disposed of as soon as they are no longer needed.

Leave Request Forms

Do your filing cabinets contain paper leave request forms for sick or annual leave (U0648)?  Do you know you can destroy record copies after 1 year?  Do you know that copies can be destroyed when no longer useful? If the employee does not keep a time sheet, this record must be kept for 3 years.

Recordings of Meetings

Do you create audio or video recordings of university meetings (U0105) and then create minutes from those recordings?  Do you know that you can destroy the recording 30 days after the formal written minutes are approved?

Student Worker Time Sheets

Have paper student worker time sheets (U0455) stashed away in a filing cabinet?  You can destroy departmental or unit copies when they are no longer useful.  The same can be said for work study files (U0466). 

Records Management: It’s the Law

In case you did not know, records management is governed by Kentucky Revised Statutes.

Answering Records Management Questions: Who to Call

If you have a questions about managing your records, either print or electronic, please call Special Collections and Archives at 622-1792.  The staff -- Jackie Couture, Ashley Thacker, and Debbie Whalen -- will be glad to assist you in all your questions. Please do not hesitate to give them a call.